Friday, March 11, 2011

The Creative Classroom


It is so important to create a classroom environment which promotes creativity. We ask students every day to come up with their most creative ideas in their writing, answers, art, etc. We as teachers must lead our students by demonstrating our own creativity. The classroom walls are your canvas. Go creative-crazy!

Here is an example of my classroom wall. It was during our Zoo theme. We were also studying the colors black and white and the shape trapezoid. In this picture, notice the ABC, 123, and Polka dots. These are my “wall staples.” In other words, I leave them up for about half of the year. I add my theme decorations on top of them. They are my background.

Being that we were studying the color black and white, I made a life-size zebra on banner paper, painted it, cut it out, and taped it on the wall. Around the zebra, I posted the students art work. We glued stripes on the zebra, stamped trapezoids, finger-painted with black paint on white paper, and made zoo animal puppets out of paper bags using paper plates and paint.

Notice the way the puppets are hanging. I have a “clothesline” (string) tied and nailed along the wall. I made a creative clothespin by gluing wood appliqués to the top of them. You can find these appliqués at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, and Wal-Mart for a very reasonable price. They come in all kinds of trucks, balls, flowers, butterflies, etc. I use these creative clothespins to easily post artwork without using tape or staples. I clip them on and rotate our projects on display with ease.

I hope this inspires your creative classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment